Farm Alliance of Baltimore Program Coordinator
We are seeking a responsible, positive, self-motivated person to fill this junior- to mid-level, full-time position. This position combines the labor and quick thinking of working a popular farmer’s market stand at the 32nd Street Market in Waverly twice per month with the administrative and logistical support responsibilities of a program manager. This position reports directly to the Deputy Director of the Farm Alliance. Communicating with urban farmers and effectively managing a complex project with minimal supervision are requirements of the job. We work closely as a team to execute the mission of the Farm Alliance and empower our members. Dedication to urban agriculture, a positive, can-do attitude, and a self-motivated strong work ethic are essential. This position is based at the Farm Alliance offices at 4709 Harford Rd., Baltimore 21214 except during COVID stay-at-home restrictions when it is primarily a remote position. POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Saturday Farmer’s Market:
- Prepare for, work, and clean up after the Waverly (32nd Street) Farmer’s Market (approximately 5:30am-1:30pm, two Saturdays per month, year-round)
- Work side-by-side (with social distancing and PPE during COVID-19 pandemic) with farmers and interns to execute a great market. Responsible for ensuring market is properly staffed and picking up the cashbox on weeks when you don’t have to work the market.
- Track market inventory and work to improve current systems
- Drive Farm Alliance van; handle deliveries and drop-offs as directed by the Deputy Director
- Complete all balance out sheets, make bank deposits, and maintain inventory tracking sheets.
- Receive weekly produce deliveries from farms at our refrigeration space at the Avenue Market at 1700 Pennsylvania Avenue.
- Create and share weekly market reports
- Assist in creating and running an online sales strategy with the Deputy Director
- Handle EBT card machines for Double Dollars Program and coordinate their use among the participating member farms.
- Work with our mobile kitchen partner Holistic Wellness & Health to support cooking demonstrations by ensuring farm fresh produce is available for those Double Dollars events
- Maintain schedule of farmers doing twice-daily greenhouse checkups in late fall/winter at Farm Alliance greenhouse.
- Coordinate with Production Contractor to ensure seedlings are being properly cared for in all Farm Alliance-controlled greenhouse spaces.
- Assist with event planning, coordination and logistics, and execution (once COVID restrictions are lifted)
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain constant communication with Deputy Director about the quality of produce being sent from farms, post-harvest handling changes, and any details that farmers communicate to you.
- Coordinate farmers’ staffing schedules for working market (one farmer when Program Coordinator works, two farmers when there is no FAB staffer present) and follow up with farmers who are scheduled to work market to ensure they show up.
- Attend weekly team staff meetings Thursdays at 9:30am.
- Receive and distribute Farm Alliance mail as directed.
- Maintain & order supplies for Waverly Market (such as: tables, produce bags, crates, berry packs, rubber bands, fruit crates/baskets, etc.) Communicate with Deputy Director about costs.
- Use SmartSheets (Similar to Google Sheets) to track farm sales data for our Double Dollars program
- Train farmers to use SmartSheets to track their own sales and harvest data
- Assist Deputy Director in laying the groundwork for Baltimore Farmer Pipeline training program
- Participate in annual budgeting for the Farm Alliance.
- Attend and speak at monthly membership meetings as assigned.
- Attend and speak at farmer committee meetings as assigned.
- Attend and speak at quarterly board meetings as assigned.
- Write periodically for the Farm Alliance newsletter
- Check general email inbox at least once a week
- Write and post content as needed on the Farm Alliance website
- Assist Deputy Director and Executive Director with Farm Alliance social media accounts
- Other duties as assigned.
COMPENSATION: Annual salary range starting at $37,500. Benefits include a 37.5 hour workweek, a generous paid time off package including 13 paid holidays, paid parental leave, office closed between Christmas and New Year’s, 13 paid sick days, and three and a half weeks of paid vacation after a year of service.We work in a co-working space on Harford Road that has a kitchen with microwave, sink, and full-size refrigerator as well as filtered water and access to outdoor seating area and grill. During this stay-at-home COVID restricted period, we use Zoom as our meeting platform and hold mandatory weekly team meetings.S
- Bachelors’ Degree or equivalent
- 2-4 years of retail experience or farmers’ market experience.
- Self-starter with the ability to execute tasks with minimal supervision
- Some knowledge of sustainable local or organic farming practices (e.g., GAP practices)
- Direct experience with running a farmers’ market stand
- Phenomenal team player
- 1 year of experience supervising an intern or junior employee.
- AA degree or equivalent.
- Valid MD drivers license with a clean driving record.
- Minimum of 21 years of age.
- Available on Fridays to receive deliveries.
- Available 2 Saturdays per month for market day, 5:30am-1:30pm.
- Available for evening committee, membership, and board meetings at least once per month.
- Excitement and eagerness to learn more about running nonprofit farm-based programs.
- 1 years of experience working on an urban farm, or at a farmers’ market.
- 1 year of experience working in retail (non-farmers market).
- Experience in managing a project from start to finish.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Ability to climb up and down stairs (accessibility info for our office: one flight of stairs)
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- Dependable with a track record of strong dependability in professional situations
- Track record of handling cash safely and correct counting of cash drawer.
- Track record of exhibiting patience and grace under pressure
This is a full-time salaried position located at our office in Baltimore, Maryland.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to info(at)farmalliancebaltimore.org .
EEO STATEMENT: Farm Alliance of Baltimore provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity),national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.